Re: [Xen-users] Error accessing memory mapped by xenforeignmemory_map()

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> CC'ing the tools Maintainers and Paul
>
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2017, Brett Stahlman wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > Adding the ARM maintainers.

>> > I'm not sure what a Bus error means on ARM, have you tried to look
>> > at traps.c:2508 to see if there's some comment explaining why this
>> > fault is triggered?
>>
>> I believe the fault is occurring because mmap() failed to map the page.
>> Although xenforeignmemory_map() is indeed returning a non-NULL pointer,
>> code comments indicate that this does not imply success: page-level
>> errors might still be returned in the provided "err" array. In my case,
>> it appears that an EINVAL is produced by mmap(): specifically, I believe
>> it's coming from privcmd_ioctl_mmap_batch() (drivers/xen/privcmd.c), but
>> there are a number of conditions that can produce this error code, and I
>> haven't yet determined which is to blame...
>>
>> So although I'm not sure why I would get an "address size" fault, it
>> makes sense that the pointer dereference would generate some sort of
>> paging-related fault, given that the page mapping was unsuccessful.
>> Hopefully, ARM developers will be able to explain why it was
>> unsuccessful, or at least give me an idea of what sorts of things could
>> cause a mapping attempt to fail... At this point, I'm not particular
>> about what address I map. I just want to be able to read known data at a
>> fixed (non-paged) address (e.g., kernel code/data), so I can prove to
>> myself that the page is actually mapped.
>
> The fault means "Data Abort from a lower Exception level". It could be
> an MMU fault or an alignment fault, according to the ARM ARM.
>
> I guess that the address range is not good. What DomU addresses are you
> trying to map?

The intent was to map fixed "guest physical" addresses corresponding to
(e.g) the "zero page" of a guest's running kernel. Up until today, I'd
assumed that a PV guest's kernel would be loaded at a known "guest
physical" address (like 0x100000 on i386), and that such addresses
corresponded to the gfn's expected by xenforeignmemory_map(). But now I
suspect this was an incorrect assumption, at least for the PV case. I've
had trouble finding relevant documentation on the Xen site, but I did
find a presentation earlier today suggesting that for PV's, gfn == mfn,
which IIUC, would effectively preclude the use of fixed addresses in a
PV guest. IOW, unlike an HVM's kernel, a PV's kernel cannot be loaded at
a "known" address (e.g., 0x100000 on i386).

Perhaps my use case (reading a guest kernel's code/data from dom0) makes
sense for an HVM, but not a PV? Is it not possible for dom0 to use the
foreignmemory interface to map PV guest pages read-only, without knowing
in advance what, if anything, those pages represent in the guest? Or is
the problem that the very concept of "guest physical" doesn't exist in a
PV? I guess it would help if I had a better understanding of what sort
of frame numbers are expected by xenforeignmemory_map() when the target
VM is a PV. Is the Xen code the only documentation for this sort of
thing, or is there some place I could get a high-level overview?

Thanks,
Brett S.