[Xen-users] Starting xenstored in a driver domain

I am trying to setup a network driver domain on Fedora rawhide running xen 4.9.1. I have configured the driver domain with a pci pass through nic and openvswitch, I've also installed xen-runtime and it's included dependencies so I have /etc/xen/scripts.  I enabled a system service called xendriverdomain which executes xl devd and I see vif-openvswitch being executed when I start a domu that references backend= in its vif definition.  I get the following error though from that big script: xenstore-read /local/domain/5/vm failed

The systemd service xenstored fails to start, since it's checking for control_d in /proc/xen/capabilities, that file exists but is empty.  I have specified driver_domain = 1 in the driver domain's config file.  Am I missing anything else?
Mike