Re: [Xen-users] Plans to require CPU VT flag?

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Christopher Myers <cmyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, are there any plans to *require* the VT CPU flag in
> Xen at any point in the foreseeable future? The reason I ask is because
> my server at home doesn't support them, so I want to beware of any
> version that would break my current setup.
>
> Right now I've got four PV VMs running on my Xen box (4.8.3 on Debian
> Stretch,) and am perfectly content with its performance :)

At the moment it's not possible to boot Xen without a PV domain 0 (on x86). :-)

We are working on allowing PVH dom0 (which requires HVM* support), but
that won't be ready until 4.11 or 4.12; even if we were planning on
phasing it out, it wouldn't be possible for several years.

But, there is no intention at this point of phasing out PV.  As you
say, there continues to be lots of x86 hardware (even new hardware)
that doesn't have HVM support; for those platforms Xen will be
basically the only option.

This is speaking of the upstream XenProject of course; individual
downstream vendors may of course make different strategic decisions.

Peace,
 -George

* VT is the Intel-specific name; HVM is the generic term fro hardware
virtualization support on either Intel or AMD.