[Xen-users] Failure to spawn the device model

Dear all,
I am running a Xen server with a few PV user domains generated by deboostrap
methods.

I am running:
xen-utils-4.8:
  Installed: 4.8.2+xsa245-0+deb9u1
  Candidate: 4.8.2+xsa245-0+deb9u1
  Version table:
 *** 4.8.2+xsa245-0+deb9u1 500

xen-tools:
  Installed: 4.7-1
  Candidate: 4.7-1
  Version table:
 *** 4.7-1 500

xen-linux-system-amd64:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4.9+80+deb9u3
  Version table:
     4.9+80+deb9u3 500
        500 http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates/main
amd64 Packages
     4.9+80+deb9u2 500
        500 http://ftp.it.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
on Debian Stretch (stable)

qemu-system-common:
  Installed: 1:2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u3
  Candidate: 1:2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u3
  Version table:
 *** 1:2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u3 500

qemu-system:
  Installed: 1:2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u3
  Candidate: 1:2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u3
  Version table:
 *** 1:2.8+dfsg-6+deb9u3 500

I have now the need of installing an appliance that comes with an ISO image for
install on physical server and I tought I could install into an HVM instance,
replace the kernel and run it as a PV but I did not get past the spawning of
the HVM:
libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:2024:libxl__spawn_local_dm: device model
/usr/lib/xen-4.8/bin/qemu-dm is not executable: No such file or directory
libxl: error: libxl_dm.c:2189:device_model_spawn_outcome: (null): spawn failed
(rc=-3)
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1504:domcreate_devmodel_started: device model did
not start: -3
libxl: error: libxl.c:1575:libxl__destroy_domid: non-existant domain 35
libxl: error: libxl.c:1534:domain_destroy_callback: unable to destroy guest
with domid 35
libxl: error: libxl.c:1463:domain_destroy_cb: destruction of domain 35 failed

This happens with the following config:
#
#
#  How to boot
#

device_model_version = 'qemu-xen-traditional'
#device_model_version="qemu-xen"
#device_model_override="/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64"

builder = 'hvm'
memory =512
vcpu = 1
name = 'test'
vif = [ 'ip=192.168.129.29 ,mac=A2:FA:B1:00:FF:B0,bridge=br2' ]
disk        = [
                'phy:/dev/vg0/lvx02,xvda,rw',
        'file:/mnt/fabio/debian-9.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso,xvdb:cdrom,r'
              ]

As test image I am using the debian official netinst iso which I am sure it
works, to ensure I am not having an issue with the image.

I did some research before asking the question, and found out that debian now
does not support the traditional model, so I uncommented the qemu-xen device
model (commenting out the qemu-xen-traditional line) and I get the domain to
spawn (it shows in the xentop output but the xl create file.cfg -c shows no
output.

Is this a known issue? What am I doing wrong?
Sorry but I am quite a noob on the HVM side of the house,and I am trying to
learn.

Thanks for any forthcoming help and or pointers in the right (any?) direction.
I am stuck with a blinking cursor!

Cheers

Fabio