Re: [Xen-users] Xen dom0 vCPUs pinning for PV/HVM domUs

On Tue, 2018-02-13 at 15:55 +0100, John Naggets wrote:
> Thanks Hans for your interesting comments.
>
> I forgot to mention that I also have added in my /etc/rc.local the
> following to be on the safe side:
>
> /usr/sbin/xl sched-credit -d 0 -w 512
>
> So if I understand here correctly this is a fine config for mixed HVM
> and PV domUs ensuring enough resources to the dom0?

Pinning of vCPUs, either of dom0 or domUs, is completely orthogonal to
what kind of guest is used (for domUs, of course).

Whether pinning or not is helpful, is highly dependent on the actual
workload, but in general, using dom_vcpus_pin is discouraged (I find
the parameter itself awkward and confusing).

In fact, in case what you want is to reserve some vCPUs to dom0 and
dom0 only, using dom0_vcpus_pin _DOES_NOT_ do that.

Regards,
Dario