Re: [Xen-users] How could I find memory hogging process in Dom0?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 10:44 PM, Christopher Myers <cmyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A good command to try is "free":

cmyers@caradhras:~> free -h
                    total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            15G        4.8G        6.2G        691M        4.2G         10G
Swap:          8.0G          0B        8.0G

In this case, you can see that my laptop is showing 6.2GB free out of 15GB. But, only 4.8GB is actually used by stuff; there's an extra 4.2GB used by the buffers and cache.

The longer a machine runs, the more will be used by that buff/cache line, until the amount of "free" dwindles down toward zero.

This is actually a good thing! It means that, instead of just sitting there unused, the computer is using ram to speed things up, instead of constantly having to go to disk for things that it frequently accesses.

A good explanation to read is here: https://serverfault.com/questions/85470/meaning-of-the-buffers-cache-line-in-the-output-of-free

Chris