Re: [Xen-users] NUMA nodes and cpu layout

Am 15.06.2018 um 15:15 schrieb Dario Faggioli:
> On Fri, 2018-06-15 at 00:19 +0200, Stefan Kadow wrote:
>> When booting the default Debian kernel, the command "numactl --
>> hardware"
>> returns the following:
>> available: 8 nodes (0-7)
>> node 0 cpus: 0 1 2 3 32 33 34 35
>> node 0 size: 0 MB
>> node 0 free: 0 MB
>> node 1 cpus: 4 5 6 7 36 37 38 39
>> node 1 size: 32170 MB
>> node 1 free: 31758 MB
>> node 2 cpus: 8 9 10 11 40 41 42 43
>> node 2 size: 0 MB
>> node 2 free: 0 MB
>
>> I want pools of 8 cpus each, but which cpus should be combined for
>> optimal performance?
>>
>> Solution 1) from numactl
>> cpus="0-3,32-35"
>>
>> Solution 2) from xl cpupool-numa-split
>> cpus="0-7"
>>
> What George said. Check also the output of `xl info -n', hopefully that
> will clarify things a bit (on how Xen sees things).

Yes, the numbering of xen tools is different from the numbers numactl
outputs, I understand that.
I attached the complete output of "xl info -n" and the output of "xl
dmesg". You will find the output of "numactl --hardware" in my first post.

> On a not so related note, you seem, at least according to numactl, to
> have nodes with no RAM, is that correct/done on-purpose?

I saw that, too. But I didn't do that. It is only the default output
after installing "numactl" on this machine.

> Regards,
> Dario

Thanks,
Stefan