Re: [Xen-users] Applying an XSA, reboot of guests required?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 20:45:58 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 20:47:20 +0000

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 09:57:07AM +0200, John Naggets wrote:
> In my case I am using Debian 9, so is an apt-get update followed by an
> apt-get upgrade enough or do I need to restart xen? and do I need to
> restart my Xen guests (all Debian 9 PV guests)?

Generally code in the hypervisor has changed so you need to reboot
into the new hypervisor. Unless you have used live patching.

Rebooting the hypervisor will obviously reboot dom0 and all other
domains, although you could suspend+restore them, or migrate them
away first.

If there are fixes in the guest kernels then those will come as
updated kernel packages and will obviously require a reboot of the
guest into the new kernel, unless they too have been live patched.

Note that a bunch of other XSAs come out of embargo on the 27th
June.

    https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/

Cheers,
Andy