[Xen-users] GPU Passthrough

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Christoph <mangel@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 11:40:08 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 09:41:46 +0000

Hi

I think about create a windows HVM domU with gpu passthrough on xen to stream via steam games to my linux workstation.
I have some question about this setup:

1. Have someone tried it? Does it work as expected?
2. What is easier and what is most stable: primary or secondary gpu passthrough? (I have a ATI Radeon HD 6950 GPU now but I want to buy a nvidia in the near future) 3. Which settings gives the windows domU the needed priority? (I have some PV linux domU's on this hypervisor, they should work simultaneously but the most ressources should get the windows domU becaues of play a game) 4. What would be the virtualization loss vs bare metal windows? (approximately)

My setup:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1271 v3 @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 32GB
GPU1: GeForce 6200 LE