[Xen-users] New Win10 Home reliably crashes every other boot?!?

Ubuntu Server 16, latest apt-get upgrade Specifically:
ii  xen-hypervisor-4.6-amd64  4.6.5-0ubuntu1.4  amd64  Xen Hypervisor on AMD64
Sample config:
 # cat /etc/xen/pos21.hvm
builder = "hvm"
name = "pos21.hvm"
memory = "4096"
vcpus = 1
vif = ['']
disk = ['phy:/dev/lvg/pos21-root,hda,w' ]
vnc = 1
vncdisplay = 1
vnclisten = '10.10.22.15'
usb = 1
usbdevice = ['tablet']  # fix mouse tracking problem
vncpasswd = 'elided'
boot = "dc"
stdvga = 1
videoram = 16
localtime = 1 # also need to manually set time inside windows to make it stick

lvg/lvm is just set up for raid 1

Windows 10 Home is also up-to-date wrt Windows Updates. According to System Information:
Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240
BIOS Version/Date Xen 4.6.5 10/13/2017
A hypervisor has been detected...

Hardware: Dell PowerEdge T30 ("desktop" form factor)
Cpu:
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz

Symptoms:
boot windows, and it hangs about 10 (cpu) seconds into booting. xl list shows that it's now taking up 100% of the cpu. waiting hours does nothing. xl destroy, then xl create and it boots fine but recreates the user profile as part of an automatic recovery something in windows. Start -> Shutdown, and it hangs again. repeat destroy|create, and it boots fine, but again recreates the user profile.

The puzzling thing is that these are fresh windows installs. yes, plural. all 3 installations hang in the same way! I've tried dd'ing the disks as backups to test its repeatability, and it's 100% repeatable (out of about 5 tries across 3 VMs). Unfortunately it's slow; takes about an hour for each restore, so I haven't done more iterations of tests.

I haven't the faintest idea what windows is dying on while booting. There's so far no software installed that should be starting at boot. (no office, nothing. just windows, maybe chrome. No virus software yet either. I glanced through Event Viewer, but nothing seems to stick out. I haven't the faintest idea what else to look for in Windows.

Help?

   - Kevin