Re: [Xen-users] New Win10 Home reliably crashes every other boot?!?

On 12-07-2018 23:40, Kevin Wang wrote:
Ubuntu Server 16, latest apt-get upgrade Specifically:

ii  xen-hypervisor-4.6-amd64  4.6.5-0ubuntu1.4  amd64  Xen
Hypervisor on AMD64

Sample config:

# cat /etc/xen/pos21.hvm
builder = "hvm"
name = "pos21.hvm"
memory = "4096"
vcpus = 1
vif = ['']
disk = ['phy:/dev/lvg/pos21-root,hda,w' ]
vnc = 1
vncdisplay = 1
vnclisten = '10.10.22.15'
usb = 1
usbdevice = ['tablet']  # fix mouse tracking problem
vncpasswd = 'elided'
boot = "dc"
stdvga = 1
videoram = 16
localtime = 1 # also need to manually set time inside windows to
make it stick

lvg/lvm is just set up for raid 1

Windows 10 Home is also up-to-date wrt Windows Updates. According to
System Information:

Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240

BIOS Version/Date Xen 4.6.5 10/13/2017

A hypervisor has been detected...

Hardware: Dell PowerEdge T30 ("desktop" form factor)Cpu:

model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1225 v5 @ 3.30GHz

Symptoms:
boot windows, and it hangs about 10 (cpu) seconds into booting. xl
list shows that it's now taking up 100% of the cpu. waiting hours does
nothing. xl destroy, then xl create and it boots fine but recreates
the user profile as part of an automatic recovery something in
windows. Start -> Shutdown, and it hangs again. repeat destroy|create,
and it boots fine, but again recreates the user profile.

The puzzling thing is that these are fresh windows installs. yes,
plural. all 3 installations hang in the same way! I've tried dd'ing
the disks as backups to test its repeatability, and it's 100%
repeatable (out of about 5 tries across 3 VMs). Unfortunately it's
slow; takes about an hour for each restore, so I haven't done more
iterations of tests.

I haven't the faintest idea what windows is dying on while booting.
There's so far no software installed that should be starting at boot.
(no office, nothing. just windows, maybe chrome. No virus software yet
either. I glanced through Event Viewer, but nothing seems to stick
out. I haven't the faintest idea what else to look for in Windows.

Can you replicate the crash after installing the Windows PV drivers?
https://www.xenproject.org/downloads/windows-pv-drivers/winpv-drivers-8/winpv-drivers-821.html

Other ideas:
- Juggle with vif type and model in the domU config
- Get rid of videoram and stdvga entries

If it helps here's a domU configuration template I'm using for Win10, 2012R2 and 2016 on various dom0 Xen versions (4.6.6, 4.8.3, 4.10.1), all running on CentOS 6 and 7

builder    = 'hvm'
memory     = 3072
shadow_memory   = '8'
cpu_weight = 256
name       = 'win10'
vif        = ['type=ioemu, bridge=br0, vifname=win10.0']
localtime  = 1
acpi        = 1
apic        = 1
vnc        = 1
vcpus      = 2
vncdisplay = 1
vncconsole = 1
vnclisten  = '0.0.0.0'
serial     = 'pty'
disk       = ['phy:/dev/vm/win10_img,hda,w']
boot       = 'c'
sdl        = 0
usb        = 1
usbdevice  = ['tablet']