Re: [Xen-users] XEN, FreeRTOS, SAFERTOS

On Tue, 2018-09-04 at 23:19 +0000, Cohen, Michele wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw wiki on security and XEN considering adding FreeRTOS.  I was
> wondering if SAFERTOS had been considered as extension to increase
> integrity?

Sorry for replying a bit late.

In case you're still interested, it's not that "Xen added FreeRTOS".
Xen, as an hypervisor, has no idea what operating system runs in
guests, whether it is Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, FreeRTOS or SAFERTOS.

On the other hand, especially if you want to take advantage of some
features and optimizations (paravirtualization, at various levels) is
the operating system that needs to be aware that it is running on Xen.
It needs to be ported on Xen, we can say. (Just FTR, however, at least
on x86, this is not really necessary, if you're happy to run the OS in
a pure and full HVM guest. But still...)

And in fact, that's what has happened, FreeRTOS has been ported to be
able to run on Xen, on ARM:

https://github.com/GaloisInc/FreeRTOS-Xen

> SAFERTOS is based on the functional model of the FreeRTOS kernel,
> however, it is not the FreeRTOS kernel. It has been completely re-
> designed by a team of functional safety experts at WHIS. Their
> engineers took the FreeRTOS kernel functional model, subjected it to
> a full HAZOP, and generated a set of safety requirements. The
> resulting functional and safety requirements sets were put through an
> IEC 61508-3 SIL 3 development life cycle, creating the SAFERTOS code
> base and DAP.

Right. If someone wants to port SAFERTOS on Xen (on ARM?), that would
be more than welcome. :-)

Regards,
Dario