Re: [Xen-users] How can PV be slower than PVHVM?

Hi Steffen,

This is because (in short and roughly):

1. Linux guest kernel is detecting Xen drivers on boot and then it will bypass any emulation (hypercalls)
2. Modern hardware is "cabled" to use virt instructions (faster than software), which is using HVM (especially for memory allocation)

So it's not a "fully emulated system" like you imagine, but instead calls to Xen and using direct hardware capabilities. This is why it's faster than PV for majority of the load (in short, almost everything related to memory translations)

Note this a short explanation without getting deeper into details :)

Best,

Olivier.