Re: [Xen-users] how to change Xen scheduler and enable the XM-FLASK in case Xen is not compiled from the source?

  • To: tee as <teea0575@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Sarah Newman <srn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:10:31 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 19:12:01 +0000
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 mail.prgmr.com 61F35720096

On 7/11/19 6:10 AM, tee as wrote:
Hello everyone,
first, i am new to xen so maybe my questions might sound uninteresting but
i am still learning :). I have installed xen using this method:
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Beginners_Guide  and not
compiling it from the source (i tried multiple times but i got errors while
compiling the kernel). To change the scheduler, I read that i have to pass
this command sched=credit2 to the hypervisor at boottime and to enable
FLASK i have to modify  .config file and set XSM_ENABLE and FLASK_ENABLE to
"y"
My questions are :
- Is there a difference between the method i used for installing xen and
compiling it fromn the sources?  I did not compile xen in the method i
used.

Modifying the .config file only makes a difference when compiling from source.
This describes the purpose of .config if you want to understand more:

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/kbuild-linux-kernel-build-system

flask is almost certainly not enabled already, but you should be able to check
for support by running 'sudo xl flask'.

- How to change the scheduler and enable XM-FLASK, while i am using the
installation in the link?

credit2 is supposedly the default in some versions, such as 4.12 for example.

https://xenbits.xenproject.org/docs/4.12-testing/features/sched_credit2.html

You can check the current scheduler by looking at 'xen_scheduler' in the output
of 'sudo xl info'.
If the scheduler is not sched2, assuming you're using Debian, look at
https://wiki.debian.org/Xen#Other_configuration_tweaks

- In case this is not possible, can anyone guide me on how to instal it
from the source and give me the right kernel?

If you already have a distribution kernel that works with Xen, you should be
able to use it as-is.

For Xen, try

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source

and let us know.