Re: [Xen-users] how to change Xen scheduler and enable the XM-FLASK in case Xen is not compiled from the source?

hello,
thanks for the reply, i have the Dom0 working with debian 9 , but as i said i did not compile it from the source. I succeded at creating a new domain with credit2 scheduler by adding an entry to the file 40-custom.
Concerning Flask it is disabled, i tried to add this line GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="flask=enforcing" to the file /etc/default/grub but stil i cannot get it to work. Is there another solution? or i should add something else?
I also have another question concerning communication between domains. As far as i know they work using grant tables, but the structure of xen that i have running on my board(intel E3845) is different than what i see in tutorials. I do not have a source folder for xen so i cannot run make menuconfig command or compile anything, i also do not have the "include" folder and all .h files (expl xenbus.h ) are empty, does this mean that i have to take them from another distribution (i saw this on Ubuntu, but unfortunatly it does not work on my board) and put them inside the debian?or the installation is wrong?
Thank you so much for your help!

Le ven. 12 juil. 2019 à 21:10, Sarah Newman <srn@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
On 7/11/19 6:10 AM, tee as wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> first, i am new to xen so maybe my questions might sound uninteresting but
> i am still learning :). I have installed xen using this method:
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Beginners_Guide  and not
> compiling it from the source (i tried multiple times but i got errors while
> compiling the kernel). To change the scheduler, I read that i have to pass
> this command sched=credit2 to the hypervisor at boottime and to enable
> FLASK i have to modify  .config file and set XSM_ENABLE and FLASK_ENABLE to
> "y"
> My questions are :
> - Is there a difference between the method i used for installing xen and
> compiling it fromn the sources?  I did not compile xen in the method i
> used.

Modifying the .config file only makes a difference when compiling from source. This describes the purpose of .config if you want to understand more:

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/kbuild-linux-kernel-build-system

flask is almost certainly not enabled already, but you should be able to check for support by running 'sudo xl flask'.

> - How to change the scheduler and enable XM-FLASK, while i am using the
> installation in the link?

credit2 is supposedly the default in some versions, such as 4.12 for example.

https://xenbits.xenproject.org/docs/4.12-testing/features/sched_credit2.html

You can check the current scheduler by looking at 'xen_scheduler' in the output of 'sudo xl info'.
If the scheduler is not sched2, assuming you're using Debian, look at https://wiki.debian.org/Xen#Other_configuration_tweaks

> - In case this is not possible, can anyone guide me on how to instal it
> from the source and give me the right kernel?

If you already have a distribution kernel that works with Xen, you should be able to use it as-is.

For Xen, try

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source

and let us know.

--Sarah