Re: [Xen-users] how to change Xen scheduler and enable the XM-FLASK in case Xen is not compiled from the source?

  • To: tee as <teea0575@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Sarah Newman <srn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:24:18 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 23:25:49 +0000
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 mail.prgmr.com 2D86672008C

On 7/25/19 2:01 AM, tee as wrote:
hello,
thanks for the reply, i have the Dom0 working with debian 9 , but as i said
i did not compile it from the source. I succeded at creating a new domain
with credit2 scheduler by adding an entry to the file 40-custom.
Concerning Flask it is disabled, i tried to add this line
GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="flask=enforcing" to the file /etc/default/grub but stil i
cannot get it to work. Is there another solution? or i should add something
else?

From looking at the xen source file xen/xsm/xsm_core.c, I think if 'XSM Framework' is not in the output of 'xl dmesg', then flask support is not compiled in.

As I mentioned before, you almost assuredly need to rebuild from source.

To get the source you can do one of the following:

* Download from packages.debian.org
* Add deb-src entries to /etc/apt/source.list and use 'apt-get source <package>'
* Download a release tarball from downloads.xenproject.org
* Use git to clone the xen repository from
https://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/xen.git

I'd recommend using downloads.xenproject.org.

After getting source files, try the following:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source#Build_Dependencies_-_Debian_.2F_Ubuntu
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source#Configure
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source#Build_.26_Install

Or if you use the Debian sources, you can try following Debians packaging
process.
The standard tool for rebuilding is the command dpkg-buildpackage from the package dpkg-dev. But I think for what you are doing, it is easier to ignore the Debian way right now.

I also have another question concerning communication between domains. As
far as i know they work using grant tables, but the structure of xen that i
have running on my board(intel E3845) is different than what i see in
tutorials. I do not have a source folder for xen so i cannot run make
menuconfig command or compile anything, i also do not have the "include"
folder and all .h files (expl xenbus.h ) are empty, does this mean that i
have to take them from another distribution (i saw this on Ubuntu, but
unfortunatly it does not work on my board) and put them inside the
debian?or the installation is wrong?
Thank you so much for your help!

I don't think the install is wrong. Those files are only used during development. Development files are typically in a separate package from runtime binaries.

For Ubuntu, xenbus.h is part of the libxen-dev package, which I discovered
using the 'apt-file search' command.

--Sarah