Re: [Xen-users] Help on passthrough serial device to BareMetal DOMU

(+ Stefano)

Hi,

On 26/07/2019 16:35, Sarah Newman wrote:
On 7/26/19 7:27 AM, Jan Cordes wrote:
Hello everybody,

we are fairly new to XEN and have a few questions regarding our XEN
setup on Xilinx ZCU102 Board. We want to pass through the UART1 device
to a bare metal guest. The way Xilinx proposed in their documentation to
XEN BareMetal Guests is to add the following via an .dtsi file to the
device tree:

&&uart1 {
    xen,passthrough = <0x1>;
};

Unfortunately, this does not work for us, we don't get any output on our
serial console.

We are using the config file which was provided by xilinx:

#Guest name
   name = "hello_world"
# Kernel image to boot
   kernel = "xapp_hello_world_el1.bin"
# Kernel command line options - Allocate 8MB
   memory = 8
# Number of VCPUS
   vcpus = 1
# Pin to CPU 0
   cpus = [1]
   irqs = [ 54 ]
   iomem = [ "0xff010,1" ]

Maybe someone can give a few tips, which steps are necessary to pass a
device to a bare metal DOMU, or point out where we missed something.

I'm not sure, but if I had this problem myself I would investigate whether Xen might be treating the serial port differently since Xen has a serial console. You could test syntax with a different device Xen doesn't have drivers for, or try changing the serial settings in the Xen boot arguments.

As long as the serial port is not used by Xen, then you should be able to passthrough to a guest. If Xen were using the UART, then I would expect libxl to fail creating the domain.

A couple of questions regarding the setup:
   - Which version of Xen are you using?
   - What is your Xen command line?
   - Do you have any output from Xen and Dom0? If so, can you paste it?

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall