Need help debugging kernel oops ( BUG: unable to handle page fault for address ? )

Hi All,

I have had a few oopses in the past week already and am trying to find out what the likely cause is and, more importantly, how to resolve this.

I have tried google, but not found anything useful yet. Several results showing issues during boot (not the case as it runs succesfully for nearly a week) or related to 2.6 kernel versions.

I have attached the dmesg-output after the first time I noticed the "oops". (Actually, several in a row)

Last nights was unable to get as the server was frozen by the time I got to it. Which means I am unable to confirm fully if the pattern was the same. The last message I could still read was nearly identical to the ones I saw the first time.

I also attached a normal dmesg output, taken after boot and all VMs finished starting.

I noticed the following section which looks interesting:

===

[317321.524229] BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffff888510ebd0e0

[317321.524307] #PF: supervisor write access in kernel mode

[317321.524368] #PF: error_code(0x0003) - permissions violation

===

But I have no idea if this is a cause or a result of the earlier trace messages in the output.

I found a new BIOS and Firmware version available for the mainboard, which I am planning on applying this week.

The kernel is "tainted" because of the use of ZFS. No other out-of-tree modules are installed.

My distro: Gentoo

Kernel version: 5.4.38

ZFS version: 0.8.3

XEN version: 4.12.2

If more info is needed to analyse this, please let me know.

Additionally, if anyone has/knows good resources (online preferred, but hardcopy will be fine as well) I can use to analyse/understand these kernel messages I would definitely appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance,

Joost Roeleveld