Re: Opam package publication (was Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] beta-release of OPAM)

Le samedi, 19 janvier 2013 Ã 10:07, Philippe Veber a Ãcrit :
> I hope I understood your point correctly, but you can already do that : if
> your repo is accessible via git, http or rsync protocols any user can use it
> simultaneously with ocamlpro's.

Yes, I know, that was not the point. I was proposing a lighter process for a
package to be included in opam's default repository.

As Alain mentioned, the current process is rather involved for package
developers --- but I disagree with his idea of an upload web interface.

The idea is that package developers publish repos with their work and that
there's a kind of `import` or `copy` command in opam that allows to copy a
package from one repo to another (this could also be useful to make custom
repos). ocamlpro uses this command to transfer a package from the developer's
repo to the default repo.

This allows package users that are confident in a packager to use his repo
directly, and those that prefer to wait for the inclusion in opam default repo
to wait for it while minimizing the overall energy spent for all the involved
parties.

Best,

Daniel