Re: [MirageOS-devel] Travis build time error (taking more than 10 mins)

On 11 Mar 2014, at 14:40, Richard Mortier <Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2014, at 14:34, Amir Chaudhry <amc79@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I've copied my jekyll -> unikernel scripts over and for some reason, `mirage
>> build` for both the unix and xen backends are taking a while (>10 mins)
>> resulting in Travis erroring out [1].
>>
>> I updated my local opam packages and they also seem to be taking a little
>> longer for the unix build (but not by much).  Below are the things that
>> changed locally and I assume travis is using the most recent versions of
>> everything.  Is this something to do with crunch?
>
> almost certainly -- the mirage-www site actually doesn't have much content in
> terms of bytes up there, so crunch is ok. with anything non-trivial or with a
> reasonable number of graphics, crunch is basically untenable. have a look and
> see how big the crunch-generated .ml file is that contains the crunch
> filesystem...

I did make crunch slightly less insane in 1.3.0 (uploaded a few days ago) by
adding deduplication support.  This dropped mirage-decks (which has a lot of
copied images across presentations) to about 15MB from 75MB.

But yeah, things like my personal website aren't practical without moving to
FAT.  We could have a deployment script that has a data/ directory from which
it builds the FAT image, and kernels/ directory from which it grabs the
unikernel...