Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage ARM port

On 11 Apr 2014, at 12:53, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here are my notes on getting Xen running on the Cubieboard2:
>
> https://github.com/talex5/mirage-www/blob/master/tmpl/wiki/xen-on-cubieboard2.md
>
> After following those instructions:
>
> - The board boots with U-Boot from the microSD card.
> - U-Boot runs Xen (arm32).
> - Ubuntu 14.04 is used as dom0 with the Xen 4.4 toolstack.
> - I can run an Ubuntu 13.10 guest, with its rootfs on an LVM volume
> and working networking.
>
> This all seems to be stable and working well. I'm using a guest VM as
> a build system.
>
> I'm currently looking into getting Mini-OS running as a Xen guest. My
> repository (forked from https://github.com/KarimAllah/xen) is here:
>
>  https://github.com/talex5/xen
>
> Currently though it just contains a couple of hacks to make Mini-OS build.

I'm following your instructions now to get a fresh Xen/ARM on my Cubie2
as well -- those are great notes!

Another thing worth trying is to bring up a FreeBSD/Xen/ARM guest on
your setup to check that it comes up with that version of Xen.  It looks
like we're heading towards FreeBSD being a potential replacement for
MiniOS as a bootloader in the longer term. Having the FreeBSD/Xen/ARM guest
working means that we could in theory unify the Raspberry Pi and Xen
Mirage backends.

See these about FreeBSD on Xen:
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2014/01/21/improved-xen-support-in-freebsd/
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-xen/2014-January/001974.html

[+CC Julien] is your git tree still the best place to get a working copy
of FreeBSD/ARM/Xen, or has it been upstreamed elsewhere now?