Re: [MirageOS-devel] Mirage ARM port

On 29 Apr 2014, at 15:28, Andy Ray <andy.ray@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I would be verry interested in porting mirage. But mirage needs Xen
>>> and the Raspberry Pi can't run Xen. So quite a bit of driver glue will
>>> be needed. That's why I started with just plain ocaml.
>>
>> Starting with OCaml is definitely the right thing to do here.  A minor
>> correction though: only the Xen backend in Mirage requires Xen :-)
>> You should be able to reuse large portions of everything above the
>> tuntap layer (for networking), such as the TCP/IP stack.  It would
>> help with future compatibility if you use some of the same libraries
>> for IO handling, such as Io_page (which is a thin page-aligned wrapper
>> above Cstruct+Bigarray).
>>
>> The reasoning behind the FreeBSD/kernel approach is to give us a nice
>> cocoon in which to leverage existing device drivers and slowly move
>> our way down the stack, while retaining the ability to benchmark CPU
>> and memory usage against the existing (mature and optimized) FreeBSD
>> drivers.
>

> I will be starting to port the x86 kernel prototype to arm by the end
> of the week.  Then I'm away on holiday for a bit so it may be a while
> before I have it working.

Sounds good -- feel free to leave any half-finished patches with me and
I can sneak in some hacking time while you're away.  I'm currently getting
Xen/ARM up and running on a clean Cubieboard2.

>> I've just got FreeBSD/rPi userspace up and running and it seems nice
>> and stable, which is encouraging (aside from the lack of binary packages,
>> so I'm leaving it compiling OCaml and its dependencies for the next
>> day or so).
>
> I've had my rPi running continuously for about a week now without
> crashing and it seems very stable.

I'm seeing similar instability on 10-STABLE, just trying to get them
to happen under gdb...

===>  Checking if lang/perl5.16 already installed
===>   Registering installation for perl5-5.16.3_9 as automatic
Installing perl5-5.16.3_9... done
===> SECURITY REPORT:
      This port has installed the following files which may act as network
      servers and may therefore pose a remote security risk to the system.
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.16/mach/CORE/libperl.so

      If there are vulnerabilities in these programs there may be a security
      risk to the system. FreeBSD makes no guarantee about the security of
      ports included in the Ports Collection. Please type 'make deinstall'
      to deinstall the port if this is a concern.

      For more information, and contact details about the security
      status of this software, see the following webpage:
http://www.perl.org/
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
root@raspberry-pi:/usr/ports/ftp/curl # uname -a
FreeBSD raspberry-pi 10.0-STABLE FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #0 r264704: Mon Apr 21
13:06:48 UTC 2014
root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src/sys/RPI-B  arm

> If you stick to the build instructions for the kernel here
>
> http://andrewray.github.io/mirage-fpga/
>
> you can use my binary packages.  It should get you to a working opam +
> ocaml installation (with git and vim) in a couple of hours.
>
> Compiling mirage-www through opam took 2-3 hours.
>
> I am close to a few patches for the ocaml ports package (which the
> maintainer has agreed to help push upstream) so there should even be a
> binary package for ocaml fairly soon.

Perfect!  I can't seem to find any binary packages for FreeBSD ARMv6
upstream -- are you referring to a package that you'd build yourself,
or has the maintainer indicated that they're working on ARMv6 pkgng
distribution?