Re: [MirageOS-devel] OCaml Labs meeting - Wed 21st May in the Computer Lab

Dear all,

This is the final reminder that the OCaml Labs meeting is taking place this
**Wednesday (21st) from 3:30pm in FW26** at the Cambridge Computer Laboratory.
This message includes the agenda, a note about video streaming and a link to
other events this week.

## Meeting Agenda ##

- Overview of activities, and Platform (20 min) -- Anil Madhavapeddy

- Ctypes (15+5min) - Jeremy Yallop
Ctypes now includes a new backend that statically generates the C and OCaml
code for binding to libraries. Jeremy will show what this looks like from a
user perspective and how it translates into additional type safety, simpler
linking and more efficient execution.

- Multicore Runtime (15+5min) - Stephen Dolan and Leo White
Lack of support for shared-memory parallelism is often cited as a short-coming
of OCaml. This talk will describe the design of an OCaml runtime with support
for parallelism, focusing on the garbage collector for this runtime.

- Modular Implicits (15+5min) - Leo White and Frederic Bour
Taking inspiration from "Modular Type-classes" and Scala's implicits, this talk
will outline the design and implementation of "modular implicits". Modular
implicits allow functions to take implicit module arguments which will be
filled-in by the compiler by searching the environment for a module with the
appropriate type. This enables ad-hoc polymorphism in a very similar way to
Haskell's type classes.

- Jenga (15+5min) - Nick Chapman and Mark Shinwell
A tour through the distributed build that assembles Jane Street's vast codebase
-- and is available as open-source now in an increasibly usable external form.

## Video Streaming ##

For those who cannot attend but would like to listen to the meeting, I will
attempt to host a Google Hangout from my laptop.  Practically speaking, it
means leaving my laptop on the table with the camera pointed at the slides. As
such, this is very much a trial and there are no guarantees about reliability
or quality.
If you'd like to join this Hangout, please email me directly (off list) with a
link to your G+ page by Wednesday 2pm BST.

## Other events ##

There are also a number of other talks taking place this week, which you might
be interested in.  Specifically, Yaron Minsky's seminar on Wednesday at 2pm in
the Lab.

You can see our agenda for the week at the link below, with abstracts for the
talks:
https://gist.github.com/avsm/18450004ae19c2facf7a

Best wishes,
Amir