Re: [MirageOS-devel] Monitoring MirageOS guests on CubieBoard2

On 13 Jun 2014, at 11:26, buzz heavyyear <buzzheavyyear@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > For the Mirage 2.0 release, I expect that ensuring that we have the right
> > primitives in place (xenstore+vchan) for an RRD library to plug into would
> > be safest. The rest can follow as a normal library update.
>
> Top dollar!
>
> > Nick: do you have any particular use-cases in mind on ARM that might guide
> > this integration? I'm primarily interested in RRD as a scoreboard for
> > tracking stats like network stack connections and load counters. As we
> > disaggregate more of dom0 into unikernels, having these trace points
> > becomes increasingly important.
>
> Like you, I'm definitely after tracking stats; also concerned over poorly
> written application code which blows up and needs to be safely recovered -
> intend to tack on various sensors to the cubieboard, monitor the process and
> if there is data-overload, safely deal with it.

This all sounds right in scope.

The medium-term goal is to sample the RRD stats into the Irmin git backend
(https://github.com/mirage/irmin) that Thomas Gazagnaire is working on.  This
will let applications have a non-blocking stats delivery model via RRD, and
still provide a persistent data structure for long-term accrual of data (e.g.
via Git pushing to an aggregation server that isn't a tiny embedded device).

I did ponder exposing this via SNMP, and then ran away screaming when I looked
at the protocol description after some time away for it.  Let's put that down
as a 'future feature' :-)

> This really is a tremendous environment for small board solutions. Thanks to
> everyone for make this available.
>
> I'm definitely not worthy.

You most definitely are!  Very much looking forward to seeing what uses you put
it to.

cheers,
Anil