Re: [MirageOS-devel] vchan/xenstore in Qubes r3

On 21 Jun 2014, at 10:02, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21 June 2014 08:58, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> A very interesting article from Joanna on the new r3 alpha of QubesOS.
>>
>> http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.in/2013/06/qubes-os-r3-alpha-preview-odyssey-hal.html
>>
>> - Qubes uses upstream Xen vchan now, which means that we "should"
>> interoperate with the ocaml-vchan library.
>>
>> - They've replaced Xenstore with a simpler transport that removes
>> permissions and uses vchan under the hood.  This is also something that
>> should be easier to do with Dave's oxenstore+irmin, since many of the
>> components such as xenstore_transport are functorized, and of Irmin can
>> serialize to several formats including Git, for reconciliation with external
>> databases.
>>
>> - Qubes looks like an excellent candidate for a 'unikernel' desktop OS!  I'm
>> going to try it when I hunt down a PC laptop, but if anyone else gets a
>> chance I'd be interested in hearing about it.
>
> I haven't tried the new alpha, but I tried the previous version of
> Qubes on my new laptop when it first arrived (actually, being able to
> try Qubes was one of the reasons I wanted a laptop with Intel
> graphics).

Woops, this was indeed a year-old blog post as Dave points out.  It's
still being very actively developed though:

http://www.qubes-os.org/trac/timeline

> One interesting thing for Mirage: they have a separate domain (NetVM)
> for network drivers, and another for the firewall (FirewallVM):
>
> http://wiki.qubes-os.org/trac/wiki/QubesFirewall
>
> FirewallVM is a complete Linux system and requires several hundred MB,
> as shown in this screenshot:
>
> http://wiki.qubes-os.org/trac/attachment/wiki/QubesScreenshots/r2b2-software-update.png

That is an interesting application indeed!  The other thing that would
be useful is a key management VM (which could expose an ssh-agent-like
socket proxy via vchan into another domain, to protect against kernel
exploits revealing).

> In the end, I only tried it for a few hours before wiping it and
> installing Arch instead. Some other problems were that there is no
> tiling window manager available, and you can't run VirtualBox on Xen.
> Qubes doesn't offer graphics acceleration for guests (due to the focus
> on security), which would probably mess up gotomeeting.

Out of curiosity, are you running Xen on your laptop at the moment
(and if so, which distribution do you use?).  I haven't set it up for
a while, but everyone I talk to seems to have issues with power
management, although pv_ops does allegedly support passing this through
from dom0->Xen without issue.