Re: [MirageOS-devel] vchan/xenstore in Qubes r3

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 8:58 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A very interesting article from Joanna on the new r3 alpha of QubesOS.

http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.in/2013/06/qubes-os-r3-alpha-preview-odyssey-hal.html

Is the URL wrong is is this 12 months old (as of today)?

It's all good stuff, but I wonder whether they've done lots more good stuff in the intervening period!

- Qubes uses upstream Xen vchan now, which means that we "should" interoperate with the ocaml-vchan library.

- They've replaced Xenstore with a simpler transport that removes permissions and uses vchan under the hood. ÂThis is also something that should be easier to do with Dave's oxenstore+irmin, since many of the components such as xenstore_transport are functorized, and of Irmin can serialize to several formats including Git, for reconciliation with external databases.

I like the idea of running separate xenstore databases per VM, since there's no need for guest VMs to be able to see any of each other's stuff. The only tricky bit is any shared backends would have to talk to multiple xenstores, and a lot of code has the assumption of a single xenstore built-in.
Cheers,
Dave

- Qubes looks like an excellent candidate for a 'unikernel' desktop OS! ÂI'm going to try it when I hunt down a PC laptop, but if anyone else gets a chance I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Dave Scott