Re: [MirageOS-devel] vchan/xenstore in Qubes r3

On 22 Jun 2014, at 13:21, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22 June 2014 12:00, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 22 Jun 2014, at 11:44, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I am tempted to run Xen directly on the laptop, but I suspect it
>>> wouldn't be as slick for graphical guests (pointer and clipboard
>>> integration, graphics acceleration, etc). I tried running Windows
>>> under KVM with virt-manager and it wasn't very usable. I imagine Xen
>>> would be the same.
>>
>> For Linux guests I’ve heard good things about SPICE with KVM, including
>> support for resolution changing and multiple monitors. The SPICE code is
>> mainly in Linux and in qemu, so Xen systems should be able to use it too
>> (although I hear this might need some fixes only present in Xen 4.5)
>>
>> For Windows guests I use RDP quite a lot, although I bet it’s not smoothly
>> integrated into virt-manager.
>>
>> I’ve not tried it, but you could try windows SPICE drivers:
>>
>> http://www.spice-space.org/download.html
>
> I think I was using SPICE with KVM, but it didn't seem as smooth as
> with Virtual Box.
>
> I just tried installing Xen from Arch, but then my laptop wouldn't
> boot. I couldn't use the laptop keyboard, and the external keyboard
> didn't work when connected through an external hub. After connecting
> it directly I could type, but X wouldn't start. I suspect this is the
> fault of the Arch Xen package, as Qubes did work on the same machine,
> but I think I'll stick to VB for now...

as an aside, i wonder whether there's any collective documentation of
recommended laptop-based xen/mirage development setups? i use linux dom0 on xen
on virtualbox on osx myself but the several other options discussed in this
thread so far might be useful to capture...

--
Cheers,

R.