Re: [MirageOS-devel] vchan/xenstore in Qubes r3

On 22 June 2014 12:00, Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22 Jun 2014, at 11:44, Thomas Leonard <talex5@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Woops, this was indeed a year-old blog post as Dave points out.  It's
>>> still being very actively developed though:
>>>
>>> http://www.qubes-os.org/trac/timeline

>>> That is an interesting application indeed!  The other thing that would
>>> be useful is a key management VM (which could expose an ssh-agent-like
>>> socket proxy via vchan into another domain, to protect against kernel
>>> exploits revealing).

>>> Out of curiosity, are you running Xen on your laptop at the moment
>>> (and if so, which distribution do you use?).  I haven't set it up for
>>> a while, but everyone I talk to seems to have issues with power
>>> management, although pv_ops does allegedly support passing this through
>>> from dom0->Xen without issue.
>>
>> On the laptop I don't run Xen directly. For testing, I run it under
>> Virtual Box (Mirage works fine that way, but I can't run HVM guests).
>>
>> I still have power issues though! If I suspend the host, then the Xen
>> VM dies for some reason and needs to be rebooted.
>>
>> I am tempted to run Xen directly on the laptop, but I suspect it
>> wouldn't be as slick for graphical guests (pointer and clipboard
>> integration, graphics acceleration, etc). I tried running Windows
>> under KVM with virt-manager and it wasn't very usable. I imagine Xen
>> would be the same.
>
> For Linux guests Iâve heard good things about SPICE with KVM, including
> support for resolution changing and multiple monitors. The SPICE code is
> mainly in Linux and in qemu, so Xen systems should be able to use it too
> (although I hear this might need some fixes only present in Xen 4.5)
>
> For Windows guests I use RDP quite a lot, although I bet itâs not smoothly
> integrated into virt-manager.
>
> Iâve not tried it, but you could try windows SPICE drivers:
>
> http://www.spice-space.org/download.html

I think I was using SPICE with KVM, but it didn't seem as smooth as
with Virtual Box.

I just tried installing Xen from Arch, but then my laptop wouldn't
boot. I couldn't use the laptop keyboard, and the external keyboard
didn't work when connected through an external hub. After connecting
it directly I could type, but X wouldn't start. I suspect this is the
fault of the Arch Xen package, as Qubes did work on the same machine,
but I think I'll stick to VB for now...

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://0install.net/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA