Re: [MirageOS-devel] Cannot deploy a Unikernel to a XenServer pool running XS 6.2

> On 22 Oct 2014, at 14:09, Jon Ludlam <jjl25@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 22/10/14 03:13, Sergio Visinoni wrote:
>
>> For issue #2, the log line you posted is probably a failure in the cleanup
>> following the actual root cause. We can try to repro locally tomorrow, but
>> it may be worth taking a bugtool
>> (http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX125372) which could help diagnose it.
>>
>> I see, thanks for clarifying. It's totally non trivial to understand XAPI
>> log messages for someone that is not familiar with the internals, that I've
>> just naively looked for "error" lines.
>> I've generated the report, and it's almost 57MB. Is there a way I can send
>> it to you without using the ML? I have both size and confidentiality issues
>> with doing so. I'm in CDT timezone, I will probably be in IRC/#mirage in the
>> afternoon CET. Feel free to contact me there for details.
> OK, will try to be around later.
>>

>> In the meantime, for a single host pool, you could just copy the unikernel
>> directly onto the XenServer. Something like:
>>
>> ssh root@xenserver mkdir /boot/guest
>> scp unikernel.xen root@xenserver:/boot/guest
>>
>> Just to clarify: the single host pool scenario is working perfectly both in
>> 6.2 (with latest patches) and Creedence beta 3.
>> The problem only shows up in a multi-host pool running 6.2 (hotfixes up to
>> SP1).
>>

> Apologies, I misunderstood. The workaround will be fine in a pool so long as
> you copy the kernel onto each host into /boot/guest/.
>
> We'll try to repro today to see what the problem may be.

From the description of the symptom (works single host but not in a pool) my
guess would be that xe-unikernel-upload is failing to respond to an HTTP
redirect from xapi.

Perhaps rather than looking at the logs, it would be better to run something
like

  strace -s 1000 xe-unikernel-upload …

— this should capture the network traffic. Or use plain http and capture with
tcpdump/wireshark.

Cheers,
Dave