Re: [MirageOS-devel] [ANN] IPv6 on Mirage!

Le jeudi, 20 novembre 2014 Ã 08:13, Thomas Gazagnaire a Ãcrit :
> foo-type: the definition of the mirage FOO signature
> foo: the functors for FOO. Depend on foo-type as we want to check
> signature/implementation matching at compile time. Depends on bar-type,
> baz-type, etc...
> foo-unix: the implementation of FOO for unix. Depends on foo.
> foo-xen: the implementation of FOO for xen. Depends on foo.
> foo-mirage: the implementation of the combinators for foo-type. Depends on
> foo-type. Might add a dependency on a specific versions of foo-unix and
> foo-xen if the right combinators are used when used in a config.ml. For each
> new versions of foo-unix and foo-xen, we need to upgrade the constraints
> (which might be painful) to ensure backward-compatibility. Or we can have
> open constraints, and do a minor release with the right updated constraints
> before bumping the major version number.

Can't these simply be subpackages ? Basically the root package foo is foo-type.
All other are subpackages (foo.func, foo.unix, foo.xen, foo.mirage) whose
existence is conditioned by depopts.

> $ mirage configure [--xen]
>
> will install either foo-unix or foo-xen automatically, depending on having
> [--xen] or not on the command-line (as the mirage tool does currently).
I think it would be interesting to look if this can be split up a bit with a
kind of mirage-get that handles the installation and then use assemblage's new
rich configuration system for setting up the build system. If we eventually get
to a good default driver (or at least the driver I have been dreaming about,
see assemblage's #145), you would then have the ability to live with both the
xen and unix build side-by-side without having to restart from scratch each
time you switch target.

Best,

Daniel

P.S. http://openmirage.org (http://openmirage.org/) should be reorganized a
bit, it took me more time than needed to get to mirage's github home (I
wouldn't think this would live under the "community" tab).