Re: [MirageOS-devel] [ANN] IPv6 on Mirage!

>> foo-type: the definition of the mirage FOO signature
>> foo: the functors for FOO. Depend on foo-type as we want to check
>> signature/implementation matching at compile time. Depends on bar-type,
>> baz-type, etc...
>> foo-unix: the implementation of FOO for unix. Depends on foo.
>> foo-xen: the implementation of FOO for xen. Depends on foo.
>> foo-mirage: the implementation of the combinators for foo-type. Depends on
>> foo-type. Might add a dependency on a specific versions of foo-unix and
>> foo-xen if the right combinators are used when used in a config.ml. For each
>> new versions of foo-unix and foo-xen, we need to upgrade the constraints
>> (which might be painful) to ensure backward-compatibility. Or we can have
>> open constraints, and do a minor release with the right updated constraints
>> before bumping the major version number.
>
> Can't these simply be subpackages ? Basically the root package foo is
> foo-type. All other are subpackages (foo.func, foo.unix, foo.xen, foo.mirage)
> whose existence is conditioned by depopts.

That's not so simple unfortunately. You might have x-unix and y-unix which both
satisfy the signature in foo-type. An example: a lot of implementation satisfy
the KV_RO (key/value store, read-only) signature: ocaml-crunch, mirage-fs-unix.
mirage-fat, etc.. In that case, it doesn't really make sense to have all of
them in the same package.

Also, from a dependency point-of-view, I think it's clearer to separate the
`*-type` packages. All the `*-type` only depends on other `*-type`. The
libraries are pure cmis, defining base signatures. They only depend on other
`*-type`. The `X` packages define functors over the base signatures. They only
depends on other `*-type` modules. I think that quite useful to see that at the
dependency level, and not clumsy it with some random depots.

>> $ mirage configure [--xen]
>>
>> will install either foo-unix or foo-xen automatically, depending on having
>> [--xen] or not on the command-line (as the mirage tool does currently).
> I think it would be interesting to look if this can be split up a bit with a
> kind of mirage-get that handles the installation and then use assemblage's
> new rich configuration system for setting up the build system. If we
> eventually get to a good default driver (or at least the driver I have been
> dreaming about, see assemblage's #145), you would then have the ability to
> live with both the xen and unix build side-by-side without having to restart
> from scratch each time you switch target.

Agreed this could be neat. Currently the mirage tool also does some other
side-effects at configure time:
- it reads config.ml, look for the different base combinators used
- install the corresponding opam package
- generate the corresponding main.ml to use the selected implementations in the
right order
- eventually generate some other .ml files (crunch, fat, ...)

In the future, some of the things could be done by assemblage -- for instance
we could provide a Mirage lib for assemblage, to expose the mirage combinator
in your assemble.ml. But well, that's a quite far future :p

Thomas