Re: [MirageOS-devel] [ANN] IPv6 on Mirage!

fwiw, and without fully understanding your point 2 below, i think that having all the type signatures baked into a single library is also rather clumsy... modularity FTW! (when supported by assemblage perhaps ;)

Agreed, but as noted, there's a design tradeoff required.  Putting type *signatures* into a library is dependency free (i.e. mirage doesn't depend on the entire universe of mirage libraries).  We can indeed split out the type signatures into libraries, but this will take some time and is a lesser concern to me than ensuring that IPv6/SSL/Vchan/Ctypes all hit the trunk as soon as possible.

Also, multiple implementations, living in different opam packages, might satisfy the same signature. In that case, it is not properly clear where that signature should leave. The answer is probably in an other independent opam package.

So that means:

foo-type: the definition of the mirage FOO signature
foo: the functors for FOO. Depend on foo-type as we want to check signature/implementation matching at compile time. Depends on bar-type, baz-type, etc...
foo-unix: the implementation of FOO for unix. Depends on foo.
foo-xen: the implementation of FOO for xen. Depends on foo.
foo-mirage: the implementation of the combinators for foo-type. Depends on foo-type. Might add a dependency on a specific versions of foo-unix and foo-xen if the right combinators are used when used in a config.ml. For each new versions of foo-unix and foo-xen, we need to upgrade the constraints (which might be painful) to ensure backward-compatibility. Or we can have open constraints, and do a minor release with the right updated constraints before bumping the major version number.

Then when you want to use foo in your project:

    $ opam install foo-mirage

In your "config.ml":

    open Mirage (* to load the basic combinators *)
    open Foo_mirage (* to load the combinators for foo *)
    let main = foreign "Make" (foo @-> job)

And finally:

    $ mirage configure [--xen]

will install either foo-unix or foo-xen automatically, depending on having [--xen] or not on the command-line (as the mirage tool does currently).

- We will brainstorm in the next mirage call and in Cambridge about the longer term solution of configuration modularity (which will require some work to get right, and so won't happen in the very short term).  ThomasG will lead this one and take the final decision since the existing configuration system is his faul^H^H creation and he understands it best.

That "wonderful" system has been build in a couple of days, under the Cambridge snow, so I have some excuses :p

Any objections to this plan, make them really soon.  I want to start serving openmirage.org through ipv6/tls asap :-)

no objection, this sounds good.

Thomas

-anil