Re: [MirageOS-devel] vchan hackers wanted for mirage-entropy

On 20 November 2014 at 08:08, Richard Mortier
<Richard.Mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 20 Nov 2014, at 05:02, david <unitedbiscuits@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Great!  One minor annoyance with vchan is that it does require a Xen machine
>>> to establish communications. If you don't have a Xen host, a Cubieboard is
>>> the easiest way to get started in the short term, or a Virtualbox setup.  I
>>> believe that Magnus is writing down the instructions for his Virtualbox
>>> setup at the moment...
>>
>> Speaking of which, I set mine up running Xen on top of Linux KVM. Xen
>> itself unfortunately cannot use KVM hypercalls (apparently?), but this
>> makes for a pretty slim VM-in-VM setup. With HVM nesting it should
>> even be possible to boot Xen-unaware kernels inside Xen inside KVM.
>>
>> If there is interest, I can share the magic incantations.
>
> yes please. i think it would be nice to assemble a blog post or set of
> instructions or something that describe the various ways of running xen in a
> development environment for mirage. (and deployment environments for that
> matter.)
>
> (xen on virtualbox on osx is what i've tried to use in the past, but i was
> never happy that i really got the network configuration absolutely nailed
> down.)

I had trouble on my system with too many bridges, so now I have the
VirtualBox VM run an internal bridge on 10.0.0.0/8, and I enable IP
forwarding in dom0. My Debian/Jessie dom0's /etc/network/interfaces
is:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# The internal guest bridge
auto br0
iface br0 inet manual
  pre-up brctl addbr $IFACE
  up ip link set $IFACE up
  up ip addr add 10.0.0.1 dev $IFACE
  up ip route add 10.0.0.0/8 nexthop dev $IFACE
  post-down brctl delbr $IFACE
  down ip link set $IFACE down

Using 10.0.0.1 as dom0 means it works with the default Mirage IP configuration.

On my host, I then add a route to the VM:

route add -net 10.0.0.0 gw xen-vm

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://0install.net/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA