Re: [MirageOS-devel] TLS deployments/feedback needed

> On 20 May 2015, at 17:11, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 20 May 2015, at 17:01, Mindy <mindy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Good news or bad news, depending on how you slice it: running the extremely
>> naive test script below:
>>
>> ```
>> for i in `seq 1 2000`; do curl -1 -k
>> https://secure-web.cisco.com/1g-G7X-jR317TAhssS_Wy62KRn2T6BLIcm-39SWOMvP8zxE6d4dRXUCzjXaTCsub9XbX2kikKL5aJIL7Kj8ngl24RZqJpCeV8riQzG60Y9qj_rzE6bNZnwr8XFQeF43cfkVUzNcBMwnbnPWpI-Ak7J3PMNhApwlTsaTMuO4WI8u9tOfBVlyrnqeWNNONCxK5t/https%3A%2F%2F192.168.3.2
>>  >/dev/null; done
>> ```
>>
>> against a unikernel generated with mirage-seal results in the following:
>
> That's good news from my front, since it's easily reproducible!
>
> Probably a good time to switch over to an issue on
> https://github.com/mirage/mirage/issues and take it from there.
>
> Dave: did you ever get a chance to look at the block device naming issue that
> was hindering adding support for dynamic storage for Xen?  It's probably a
> good time to switch to dynamically loading in content for mirage-www and
> mirage-decks (with a buffer cache of course).  That would bring the required
> memory back down for the default case of mirage-seal.  I'll take a look if
> you haven't got time atm.

Iâve not had a chance to look yet.

I think it might help to separate the use-cases by whether they require
persistence or not. In the case of a website where all of the content is
read/only then for the Xen unikernel we could create a temporary disk image
with the contents and attach that with a name we control (âxvdaâ). In cases
where someone wants to connect a persistent database to both a Unix unikernel
by path /foo/bar and by Xen xvda,xvda weâd have to do something different.

Quite a while ago I wrote this patch:

https://github.com/djs55/mirage-www/commit/224efd592a04de5fee3f0f9437a81b62cc938462

The idea was to keep an in-memory index to a block device in tar format so the
majority of the data is kept on disk.

Cheers,
Dave