Re: [MirageOS-devel] C.H.I.P.

On 16 May 2015, at 18:04, Vincent Bernardoff <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16/05/2015 13:48, Dario Teixeira wrote:
>> The CPU of the Allwinner R8 is an ARM Cortex-A8, so the question transits
>> to the Xen support for Cortex-A8.
>
> No there is no support for A8, and there will probably never be (does
> not have the virtualisation extensions).
>
> Btw, is there a list somewhere that
>> summarises the Xen support for the various ARM processors?  Most SBCs
>> these days are based on Cortex-A7 (low-end ones line the RPi2), Cortex-A9
>> (mid-end ones like the Cubox-i family or Radxa Rock Pro), or Cortex-A15
>> or even Cortex-A17 (for higher-end ones like the Radxa 2).  I think the
>> A7 and A17 work with Xen, but not the other ones (but I may be wrong).
>
> A8 and A9 does not work, the rest probably work (at least theoretically).

It's worth noting that Martin Lucina's recent work on bare metal booting
will eventually let us run on these A8 chips.  The first target for this
is x86 only, as ARM requires some extra work to wire up interrupts and
so on, but it's all heading in the right direction.

It seems fairly clear that most ARM chips wont have hardware virt support
in the next few years (unlike x86 which picked up VT/SVM fairly rapidly),
so this is something well worth continuing to work on.