Re: [MirageOS-devel] Random thought for an OPAM feature

On 4 June 2015 at 08:49, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> A thought occurred that one way for users to deal with this relatively
>> straightforwardly might be to add the ability for opam to pin packages
>> based on a datetime. We might then announce that a release was
>> in-progress, and anyone who cared could pin all packages to some
>> "safe" time before it began. This would save determining latest
>> versions for pinning packages individually.
>
> You can already do something similar:
>
> opam pin add foo https://github.com/mirage/foo.git#SHA1
>
> Libraries in mirage-dev are in flux and people using it should expect
> breakage -- reporting these breakages on the list or on GitHub is *very*
> useful to converge to a stable state. Once stabilised, libraries are supposed
> to be properly release and migrate (in bulk) to opam-repository. Or we can
> have a mirage-dev-dev repository to avoid this but I would rather avoid this
> :p

I think what I'm really saying is: a lightweight way to request a
consistent set of packages without needing to setup a dev opam repo.
Date seemed a reasonable way to index into that as I can usually
remember approximately the last time it worked (certainly better than
I can remember a set of package versions). But perhaps the existing
mechanism can have this built on top -- I guess ideally some command
that started from a list of seed packages, extracted all the deps at a
particular point in time, extracted the commit-refs for those packages
at that time, and then pinned to those commit-refs would achieve
this...?

There are times when it's useful to have as-yet-unreleased
packages/features available without wanting to be on the bleeding edge
of everything; or at least to have a convenient way to pull back from
the bleeding edge temporarily.

--
Richard Mortier
richard.mortier@xxxxxxxxxxxx