Re: [MirageOS-devel] Testing the next release of mirage

On 31 October 2015 at 01:20, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are preparing the next release of the mirage tool, which will bring nice
> enhancement on configuration and runtime command-line parameters developed by
> Gabriel Radanne this summer. If you want to test it you can do:
>
>     opam pin add functoria https://github.com/mirage/functoria.git
>     opam pin add mirage --dev
>
> then you can test the result on the functoria branch of Drup's
> mirage-skeleton:
>
>     git clone -b functoria https://github.com/Drup/mirage-skeleton.git
>     cd mirage-skeleton/network
>     mirage describe
>     mirage configure --help # see the configuration time options
>     make
>    ./mir-network --help # see the runtime options
>
> You can play with the command-line options and see how the command-time
> options can influence the presence and default values of runtime options.
>
> Early feedback  (good or bad :p) is much appreciated!

I've just had a quick play, a couple of bits of feedback:

1. It's pretty great. Nicely done.
2. I'd love to be able to get at the configuration options as data, in
an ideal world JSON, probably something like a generated JSON schema
(http://json-schema.org/)

My rationale for the last part is integration with other tools.
Personally I'd love to be able to autogenerate Puppet types for a
resulting unikernel but any form of runtime configuration integration
would benefit from a machine readable format for the configuration.

This might look something like this. (--help=json felt wrong somehow)

OPTIONS
       --help[=FMT] (default=pager)
           Show this help in format FMT (pager, plain or groff).
       --parameters[=FMT] (default=json)
           List available unikernel parameters in a machine readable
format (json).

Cheers

Gareth

> Enjoy,
> Thomas, on behalf on the merry MirageOS crew

Gareth Rushgrove
@garethr

devopsweekly.com
morethanseven.net