Re: [MirageOS-devel] Lifecycle

Le jeudi, 14 juillet 2016 à 17:53, Nick Betteridge a écrit :
> My Atmel Zigbit modem is currently strapped to my cubieboard - when I
> destroy the unikernel, the radio carries on singing. Is that what
> you're asking, or are you talking about modem management in general?
>
> Incidentally, another use-case for STOP is for overwriting anything left
> on a BLOCK device with zeros.

I don't think you'll need to convince anyone about the usefulness of
start/stop.

To me restart is the contentious, since 1) It may be technically hard to
support in certain contexts 2) I think it may lead to develop systems that are
less reliable than they could be.

My rationale behind 2) is that first it multiplies the code paths and potential
need to share spaghettis between stop and restart. Second booting is still an
operation fraught with uncertainties, so your restart may actually end up
formally being a stop... Since you have to deal with that idea anyway I'd say
it's better not to support a restart event.

Best,

Daniel