[MirageOS-devel] ipv4 configuration overhauls & dhcp client adjustments

Hi folks,

I recently spent a bit of time attempting to make the mechanism by which network stacks are configured in the ipv4 universe a bit less surprising. I got these into PR shape early today, and I'd appreciate any comments you might have. I'm happy to hear them here, on the PR, or privately.

mirage PR, with:

* changes to the public methods used in `config.ml` files

* a new module type in V1_LWT called DHCP_CLIENT

* removal of some functions in V1's IP module type

* changes to the types representing ipv4 configuration and ipv6 configuration

* removal of the `mode` argument to V1_LWT.STACKV4 's id GADT

is available at https://github.com/mirage/mirage/pull/643 .

mirage-tcpip PR, with:

* Static_ipv4 and Dhcp_ipv4 instead of Ipv4

* tcpip-stack-direct that does not attempt to configure the ip, but rather expects one with parameters arleady set

* a tcpip_stack_direct that does not automatically call listen before the user has had a chance to register listeners

is available at https://github.com/mirage/mirage-tcpip/pull/260 .

To pull the whole set of changes, you can add this repository to your opam remotes:

opam remote add normalize-ipv4 https://github.com/yomimono/mirage-dev.git#normalize-ipv4

There is also a branch of mirage-skeleton which incorporates these changes:

https://github.com/yomimono/mirage-skeleton/tree/normalize-ipv4

Thanks,

Mindy