Re: [MirageOS-devel] breaking up cstruct packages

  • To: Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 13:04:11 +0000
  • Cc: Jeremie Dimino <jdimino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mirageos-devel <mirageos-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 13:04:16 +0000
> On 3 Nov 2016, at 13:01, Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> On Thursday 3 November 2016 at 13:19, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
>
>> I'm porting cstruct opam packages to topkg, and need to make a backwards
>> incompatible change to the ocamlfind layout. It is currently:
>>
>> cstruct
>> cstruct.lwt
>> cstruct.ppx
>> cstruct.unix
>>
>> I propose to change these ocamlfind packages to
>>
>> cstruct
>> cstruct-lwt
>> cstruct-ppx
>> cstruct-unix
>>
>> so that they are the same as the ocamlfind layout.
> I'm not sure what you want to say here, your sentence seems circular.

Sorry there was a typo -- I meant the same as the OPAM layout.

> Is it due to the fact that your are splitting cstruct into multiple OPAM
> packages to avoid depopts ? If that's the case why not, it would be more in
> line with what odig expects from a package naming perpsective (an OPAM
> package equals an odig one).
>
> Note however that if you'd like to avoid incompatible ocamlfind churn across
> all the dependents you can still retain the same ocamlfind layout. Simply
> have the cstruct package install a single META file that has the definitions
> for all the others and leverage the exists_if ocamlfind directive.
>
> For example `topkg` and `topkg-care` do this. You have topkg and topkg.care
> as ocamlfind packages even though you have topkg and topkg-care as opam
> packages see [1].
>
> However bear in mind that what topkg does in this case may not be a good idea
> for the longer term goal of trying to align opam package names with toplevel
> ocamlfind names.

Ah yes, very good point.  I can do that and avoid a big bump for the moment.

It actually might make sense to install META files for cstruct-* as well, to
provide a transition path where both names are available for one release (i.e.
you can use either cstruct.ppx or cstruct-ppx).

Anil