Re: [MirageOS-devel] change of pkg config path

On 13/11/2016 18:13, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> On 13 November 2016 at 17:52, Hannes Mehnert <hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> mato noted while porting mirage-solo5 to topkg [0], that pkg-config
>> files are currently installed into opam/lib/pkgconfig, but they rather
>> belong into opam/share/pkgconfig (and there seems to be no way to
>> install into foreign lib dirs with topkg/install files).
>
> What's the reasoning behind share vs lib?

My reasoning was guided by opam package installation and isolation
thereof.  I consider it a violation if any package X installs stuff into
`opam config var prefix`/Y for any Y <> X (as Daniel pointed out, this
has been discussed without a proper solution in
https://github.com/ocaml/opam/issues/2153, maybe opam2 forbids it now?).

But it seems that people like to do this for Y = pkgconfig.  So be it.
Better ensure than that nobody ever submits a package named pkgconfig to
opam.  I have a hard time following cross-compilation arguments since I
don't know how opam will handle cross-compilation (maybe using separate
switches, than it doesn't matter?)

Since David updated ocb-stubblr to look in both share/pkgconfig and
lib/pkgconfig, I updated the mirage PR to do the same.  Having both, we
can also do interleaved transitions to whichever directory people prefer.

hannes