Re: [MirageOS-devel] [GSoC'17] Interested in CoHTTP

On 03/14/2017 08:04 AM, Haiyu Yang wrote:

Hi all,
My name is Haiyu and I am really interested in contributing MirageOS this summer.

Hi! I'm Mindy, one of the co-administrators (with Lars Kurth) for this round of GSoC and Outreachy. It's great to hear that you're interested in MirageOS!

I don't know if this is late or early, but I think it's always good to get in contact with the community. I particularly interested in the CoHTTP project. Is it still available right now?

cohttp is pretty active at the moment! You might want to speak with Rudi Grinberg, who's lately been doing a lot of needed work in that project, to get a bit more guidance on where to start looking.

Actually, I learnt Standard ML on MOOC and Haskell in college, but no serious experience with OCaml. And I have some experience with OS and HTTP protocol. I think this project would be fun for me.

If you're looking for resources on OCaml, I can recommend "Real World OCaml" which got me started from a similar background; it's available for free at https://realworldocaml.org . I've also heard lots of recommendations of "OCaml from the Very Beginning", which has several chapters available for free at http://ocaml-book.com/ .

To be honest, I'm not quite clear about the overall process of GSoC application. Is it very competitive? Do I need move fast to have some work done right now?

We're fortunate to have had a lot of interest this year! For us the number of GSoC and Outreachy positions available depend on the overall level of interest in the Xen project, so the level of competition is difficult to gauge from our little corner. Student draft proposals for GSoC should be submitted between 20 March and 3 April (deadline 16.00 UTC), so it's probably a good idea to get started soon.

Thanks,
Mindy