Re: [Wg-test-framework] Updated Linux Testing Project Plan Schedule

Paul L. George writes ("Updated Linux Testing Project Plan Schedule"):
> Here is the updated project plan for the Test Server Array.

Thanks.

> I added dates for the milestones and added tasks.
> I also built a Gant Chart.
> Any suggestions or input is welcome.

I think we should get the main servers set up in the colo as soon as
possible.  In particular, we must do the bulk of the VM setup and
configuration with the servers (and the PDUs and switches) already
installed in the colo.

Trying to set things up on the bench and then move them to the colo
later will make the configuration management very difficult.  It will
also make it difficult for me to help.

IMO it is essential that I have access to the main servers' core
operating system (dom0) install and configuration so that I can review
it.  This must happen _before_ we start setting up any VMs.

Your original dates as discussed in previous calls were to have the
main servers in the colo by the 10th of December.  I have emphasised
that this was for me the thing which is on the critical path.

We know that this date of the 10th of December has slipped by about a
week because of the ram problem with the main servers.  That would put
that at the 17th of December.

But on your plan, the main servers are only moved into teh colo on the
30th of December.  That's nearly an additional two weeks of delay, of
which one is probably lost to Christmas.  Where is the additional week
of delay coming from ?

Many of the dates ranges in the plan are very wide for what I would
expect to be much shorter activities.  I would expect anything which
will actually take more than a day or two (except things like soak
tests) to be broken down into more detail.

Is this a way you have built contingency (margin for error) into the
schedule ?  If so, it would be better to do so explicitly.

Your plan still says `Load OS and VM configuration files'.  That seems
like a holdover from the previous idea that we weren't setting up
these VMs afresh, but were simply transferring them from elsewhere.

The plan does not, AFAICT, contain any breakdown of dates for
operating system and software installation and testing.

Thanks,