Re: [Wg-test-framework] Project Update

Ian,

> On Jan 28, 2015, at 6:23 AM, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Firstly, thanks for the update.
>
> Paul L. George writes ("Project Update"):
>> We started working bench testing the 4 Dell servers we received last
>> Thursday.  We ran in to problem when trying to load Debian 7.7 it
>> did not support the NIC cards in the servers.  We downloaded the
>> proper drivers but could not get them installed.
>
> This is bnx2, right ?  This is expected.  You need an image with
> nonfree firmware included.
>
>> I spoke to DonK
>> and he suggested using Debian 7.8.  I started downloading the 7.8
>> DVD image and then had to leave.
>
> It might be more sensible to use netinst boot media.  That would avoid
> downloading a lot of stuff you won't end up using.

Ok,  but remember we are only loading Debian as a bench test diagnostic.  All
systems ran Memchk, so this is really just a testing scenario.

>> I spoke to Comtrol and we are expecting the returned repaired
>> components to be delivered Wednesday.  I will install it the same
>> day I get it.  The Snow may have screwed up the delivery.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> When I install the repaired Comtrol components I will remove the other set to
>> return.  I ran the diagnostics and it looks like the Comtrol path panel on
>> Newcastle has failed as well.  I will connect the repaired patch panel to
>> Newcastle.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> It appears there was a power surge while we were installing the Patch panels
>> damaging them.  Comtrol is repairing them under WARRANTY.
>
> Good.  Are power surges common in this datacentre ?
No! I am sure we screwed up.  I may have plugged in the PDU while Chris was
connecting the patch panels.  The servers were set to auto power up.  That is
the only explanation that makes sense.

>> We will move the PDU?s to the infrastructure Vlan when we put the
>> Comtrol patch panel back.
>> We will also attempt to connect the Switches and PDU?s to the Comtrol patch
>> panel as well.
>
> Thanks.
>

> How is the VM installation going ?

Don is supposed to be joining us this morning, so we will all get an update.