Re: [Wg-test-framework] Notes from Xen Project/AllNet call Mar 4th

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 15:47:01 +0000
Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Don Koch writes ("Re: [Wg-test-framework] Notes from Xen Project/AllNet call
> Mar 4th"):
> > Here it is:
> > + indicates working machines released to Ian for use.
>
> Thanks for the helpful table.
>

> >             net   serial  serialBios  todo/notes
> > +merlot0     x      x        x
> > +merlot1     x      x        x
> > +baroque0    x      x        x
> > +baroque1    x      x        x
> > +chardonnay0 x      x        x
> > +chardonnay1 x      x        x
> > +italia1     x      x        x
> > +oseleta1    x      x        x
>
> I can confirm these are working.
>
> I went through the BIOS and in some cases I found that "turn on after
> AC power loss" was set to "last state" rather than "on".  I fixed
> those.
>

> > +nocera1     x      x        x
> > +italia0     x      x        x
>
> Those two seem to not be configured to always turn on after AC power
> loss.  The symptoms are that the machine seemed to be working and in
> the OS install you and George had provided.  I could hit "return" at
> the login prompt and get a new prompt.  But when I power cycled each
> one, it stopped responding and never came back.
>
> I think this needs to be fixed by visiting the colo.
>
> For italia0, the setting is called `Resume on AC Power Loss: Reset',
> going by italia1's BIOS.
>
> (Update: I spoke to Don on IRC and he says there is a problem with the
> serial adapter on nocera1.)
>

> > +fiano0      x      x        x
> > +fiano1      x      x        x
>
> For these I can't seem to access the BIOS over the serial port.  I
> _do_ see a message from the PXE ROM, so there is some serial access
> during boot, but no BIOS configuration.

Same here.

> It's possible that rather than the BIOS serial access being turned
> off, the "display message" and "allow escape into BIOS by pressing
> key" are turned off, or I'm not sending the right escape key.
>
> I think someone needs to visit the colo to check on the settings.

I'll try to make a trip to the colo this PM.

> It would be wise to check the action on AC power loss / restore.

Some of the machines need a significant time between power-off and power-on
or they won't see the reboot. I'm tempted to set a power-on delay of 5 sec.

-d