Re: [Wg-test-framework] Huxelrebe BIOS serial redirection

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 15:21:22 +0000
Ian Campbell wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> This is related to the Hexulrebe serial redirect, correct? I've
> hopefully therefore set an appropriate subject.
>
> AIUI the issue here is purely with the BIOS serial redirect. Which is
> needed in order to access to the BIOS configuration for remote setup. Is
> that correct?

Yes.

> The physical ports and wiring in the colo have been shown to be working
> e.g. for bootloader and/or OS output. Is that correct?

In general, yes.

> Having discussed this briefly with Ian last week I think we concluded
> that it would be tolerable (although not ideal) if access to the BIOS
> configuration screens had to be via AMT or SoL so long as the physical
> serial port remains available for use by the OS.
>
> It's not clear to me from the documentation if that is the case though,
> or if enabling AMT/SoL some how swallows the physical serial.
>
> I think it would be worth configuring AMT and checking that you can:
>
>         a) access the BIOS configuration screens via AMT and SoL

I will check on this.

> -and-
>         b) that a Debian install is still able to use the physical
>         serial console.

This works, at least on huxlerebe0. hux1 seems to be broken (probably due
to a connector issue).

> If the answer to both of those is yes then I think we should be able to
> live with it.

If this is true, you can ignore my "send them back" suggestion. ;)

-d