[win-pv-devel] [SOLVED] RE: xen net/vif (signed 8.2.0.6) "code 10" / win7

Hello.

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018, Paul Durrant wrote:
Sent: 08 January 2018 17:30
Captured/attached "boot" debugview:
- when OK
- when "xen-network dialog popup say restart needed"
- when failed

Thanks Martin. Much more useful...

From the failure case I can see that your guest is running out of grant references. I suspect that, what has happened is you've upgraded your backend OS and suddenly multi-page storage rings have become available in blkback. Your XENVBD driver is then making use of those and stealing most of your VM's grant references. XENVIF is then starting up and finding it doesn't have sufficient grant references to operate correctly and is therefore failing to start.

You have a couple of choices... Either increase your VM's grant frame limit (see man xl.cfg for new per-vm parameters in Xen 4.10) or limit your storage backend's rings to a lower number of pages (see modinfo xen-blkback and look for max_ring_page_order... I suggest setting to 0).

Yes. This should be that. I extended "max_grant_frames=256" in VM config (in json in my case, btw. the global settings in /etc/xen/xl.conf does not work in my case) and it seems to work now (no more errors "XENBUS|GnttabExpand: fail1 (c000009a)").

Hmm, it may be possible. I am not sure but the problem could be appearing
after upgrade from Xen4.8.0 + 4.7.9-200.fc24 to Xen4.10.0 + 4.13.9-300.fc27.

Does anyone tests defaults ?

Thanks, Martin