RE: Installing WinPV drivers on Windows 2019

Hi Jan,

> On 22/05/20 8:58 pm, Paul Durrant wrote:

No, the 8.2.2 drivers should all be signed now. I'm not aware of an unsigned
build being available for download any more.

> I'm pretty sure I downloaded the ones you're referring to.
>
> I could not install the 8.2.2 drivers until I enabled test signing: the
> setup immediately fails when attempting with test signing off.

This should not happen with the drivers currently available. If it does then
there is something wrong.

> It had been a while since I installed those drivers and I had a vague
> recollection of having to install the certificates to get around the
> "Test Mode" shown on the desktop. So, I imported the 5 certificates from
> the source trees, then installed the drivers with test signing enabled.
> Then Windows needed to "repair" the system and ended up with an
> inaccessible boot device.
>
> I restored the VM from backup, removed the 8.2.0 drivers, then installed
> https://github.com/xcp-ng/win-pv-drivers/releases. These have been fine
> for a few days now on the test VM but we yet have to see what happens on
> a production system. After all the 8.2.0 drivers also worked fine for
> months until the system went into production and then started crashing,
> sometimes once every few weeks, sometimes multiple times in a week or day.
>
> Which version of the drivers should I install on a production system?
> The ones released by XCP-NG (even though I'm running Xen Open Source,
> not XCP-NG? 8.2.2 or 9.0.0?
>
> I'm happy to give it another go with the version you recommend. Should I
> check remaining registry entries or should the uninstaller (via Control
> Panel) take care of removing those?

The XCP-NG drivers *should* be fine. I have not tried them myself for a while
though. The fact they are bundled with an installer does make them more
convenient so I suggest you do give them a go.

  Paul