[Xen-devel] segfault bug in xeno-unstable...

The actual version of xeno-unstable (Changeset 1.506) segfaults with some
standard commands - at least with my
RedHat V8 (I haven't tested RedHat V9 yet) installation.

If you enter "vi" or "vim" or "rpm -qa" as root or non-root user,
xeno-linux just segfaults with no further comments (the next line of
output just shows "Segmentation fault", nothing more).

BTW: Especially for production use, it would be nicer if xen could
somehow pass up "printk"-output in xen to dom0's kernel logger,
so that you don't need to configure and run a second machine for
the serial line debug output all the time. While checking the segfault
bug, I have not connected a debug machine to the serial line, so I
don't know if it would have showed something helpful :-(

After a lot of tests with bk pull and bk undo, I was able to find out,
that this bug was introduced with Changeset 1.478. Changesets
up to 1.477 are working OK, without the segfaults, but starting
with CSet 1.478 you get the segfault.
I wasn't able and didn't try to find the cause for that, because a
lot of sophisticated stuff got checked in with CSet 1.478.
Perhaps somebody from the Xen Project team can check it
out - and also if they get segfaults too when using the above
commands on newer xeno-unstable versions ;-)
I am sure there are also other command / programs segfaulting
(e.g. "gdm" also did it) so this is not just an issue restricted
to vi and rpm ;-)

Another thing I realized while compiling and trying to load the
HyperSCSI kernel module:
When loading the HyperSCSI client kernel module (which was
compiled against xeno-linux), it complains about 2 undefined
Kernel Symbols:

do_hypervisior_callback      and
HYPERVISOR_shared_info

After adding 2 EXPORT_SYMBOL lines for these symbols in
../arch/xeno/kernel/i386_ksyms.c and
recompiling the kernel, everything loaded and worked OK.
I hope it was not against xen design principles to add the
2 EXPORT_SYMBOL lines ;-)

I had not yet the time to check the new vbd patches together
with HyperSCSI, because the segfault bug was delaying me;
perhaps I'll do it on monday or tuesday.

Regards + many thanks to the Xen project team for this nice
and professional software :))

Sven