[Xen-devel] Via Cyrix 3 II / CentaurHauls Nehemiah support

Hi,

Now that I've tested the fixed RTL8139 network driver to work on my
laptop, I want to try and demo Xen on a mini PC I have with the same
card.  However it's got a Via Nehemiah CPU, so Xen complains with "Only
support Intel processors (P6+)".

I think it's supposed to be 686 class processor - "uname -mpi" reports
"i686 i686 i386".  I remember the earlier C3 also claimed to be a 686
but was missing the cmov instruction gcc apparently assumed to be
present, so only i586 binaries worked.  However the attached
/proc/cpuinfo from the new Nehemiah includes cmov, and sure enough both
i686 kernels and executables are running fine.

Hacking xen/arch/i386/setup.c to allow the chip seems to boot Xen fine
without the warning.  However adding processor support to
xenolinux-2.4.25/arch/xeno/config.in results in xenolinux kernels that
immediately hang starting DOM0 when built for 686, CYRIXIII or VIAC3_2.
Passing "watchdog" to Xen didn't report any extra help to the screen on
stalling.

Any thoughts on how I could fix support for this processor please?

Cheers,

Sean.

--
Sean Atkinson <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>